STOPENTERICS is a unique alliance of independent organizations around the world dedicated to accelerating the development of a Shigella and ETEC vaccines for children of the developing world.
- to provide the “proof of concept” in humans for two newly available Shigella and ETEC vaccine candidates, respectively,
- to develop innovative strategies to overcome one still unsolved major challenging roadblock, i.e. the need of developing multivalent vaccines
- to improve the immunogenicity of the polysaccharide part of LPS, i.e.the O-antigen (O-Ag) of prevalent endemic Shigella, and contribute to modifying the ETEC ST toxin into a nontoxic and immunogenic toxoid.
STOPENTERICS will provide high-standard training capacities for young investigators within the consortium by promoting training in vaccinology focusing on some of the crucial steps in developing vaccines against enteric diseases.
The following courses will take place during the timeframe of the project:
- overview of an integrative discipline through the Vaccinology Course at IP;
- training in clinical evaluation and immunomonitoring of enteric candidate vaccines at TAU and ICDDR,B
- training on conjugate vaccines at NVI
- building-up a STOPENTERICS active
internet-based distance learning core facility. Therefore, trainees having difficulties to enroll in
formalized programs due to their remote distance from academic centers or conflicting professional
activities will be able to participate actively in the eTraining program developed in this project.